|It's a potato!|
Now look at it close up.
|More importantly, it's my potato!|
Isn't it the most loveliest, most gorgeous potato you've ever seen?
If you're wondering why I've gone gaga over this particular potato, it's because it came from my garden. To be honest, I can't claim this harvest as my own because it was from a potato plant that the previous owners of my house had left but boy, am I going to get excited about it!
|Remember to wash the dirt off. No one likes eating dirt.|
|Layer: potato, salt, pepper, cream, garlic, butter. Repeat. Then cheese. Mmmm.. Cheese..|
|Golden brown with dark edges|
In the meantime, the potatoes are going to good use in a really yummy Potato Gratin recipe (which is a fancy way of saying "Scalloped potatoes" or a less fancy way of saying "Potato Dauphinoise").
|Giving your meal an extra "oomph"|
1kg potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 5mm will do)
4 Tablespoons butter
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 cup cream
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, grated
2 Tablespoons of fresh parsley for garnish
Masterfoods Fries Sprinkle (optional)
1. Slice the potatoes and soak in a bowl of cold water for about 20 minutes to remove some of the starchiness
2. Preheat the oven to 190 C
3. Butter the bottom and sides of your casserole dish -a lasagna dish works fine, too but make sure it's a big!
4. Cover the bottom of the dish with a layer of sliced potatoes
5. Dot knobs of butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper, a few spoonfuls of cream and some garlic -don't worry, there are no wrong measurements here
6. Repeat these layers with the remainder of your ingredients and end with some butter on the top and a generous sprinkle of grated Parmesan and salt and pepper
7. Place in the oven for an hour or until the potatoes have absorbed all the cream and the top is a golden brown with dark edges
8. Sprinkle about 3 teaspoons of fries sprinkle over the top for some extra flavour
9. Serve with the parsley garnish.