Thursday, December 8, 2011

Chopped Turkish Salad

I try very hard to eat healthy. I really do. But whatever steps are taken toward green leafy things are inevitably undone when winter rolls around and things like potatoes, cheese and casseroles take priority. Who wants to touch cold salad when nice warm things are around?


Tis a pomegranate!

Enter Summer.


My attempt at an artistic shot
Oh, how I love Summer! Aside from being able to wear dresses and go to the beach, the abundance of juicy Summer fruits makes it incredibly easy to eat nothing but. Among my favourites is the delicious, ruby red pomegranate


You eat the seeds
Native to Iran, the pomegranate is one of the only fruits where you eat the seeds and discard the flesh. Each individual seed is a burst of sweet and acidic flavour in your mouth and you can be assured that they're good for your body -high in Vitamin C, and potassium, a great source of fiber, and low in calories as well. It's no wonder they've been heralded as the new super food!


Add 1/4 cup olive oil
I had enjoyed these throughout my childhood, so it was quite funny when Jason's mother approached me with this "new and exotic fruit that could be found at the gourmet food store." I didn't have the heart to tell her that I had already discovered the pomegranate a few years ago..


Yummy!
The Turkish salad she used it in, however, was a complete revelation! The addition of pomegranate seeds provides bursts of sweetness and acidity to the refreshing cucumber and tomatoes. 

It also tastes great for lunch with some crusty bread
 And best of all, it's so easy that Jason doesn't mind making it!



Chopped Turkish Salad from Dish magazine



Ingredients:


2 Large vine tomatoes
1 Cup diced cucumber
1 Cup diced fennel or celery
1/4 Chopped olives
2 Spring onions, finely chopped
Seeds from 1 fresh pomegranate (you can substitute this for 1/3 cup of dried cranberries)
A small handful of basil, finely chopped
1/4 Cup olive oil
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 Clove garlic, crushed
Sea salt
Freshly ground pepper


Method:


1. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Lucy,

    This looks delicious. Although I always come across pomegranate in the supermarket, I never found the urge to buy them. Perhaps I should give them a go this time.

    ReplyDelete