My friend, the Pinterest Fairy, has over 1500 pins and is much better at going through with the items on her boards.
She introduced us to these Sweet and Spicy Candied Nuts on a girls weekend where we demolished them over the course of one night. Needless to say, we were hooked.
After hearing me rave about it the next week, she gifted us a giant jar of these nuts for our housewarming -where they were again demolished by our guests. I had to make some of my own.
This recipe for Sweet and Spicy Candied Nuts is so simple to make and is a big hit.
The hardest thing is making them last.
Sweet and Spicy Candied Nuts (adapted from Citrus and Candy)
1/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup white sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground cinnamon
500g mixed nuts (I used macadamias, almonds and cashews)
1 egg white
1 Tbs water
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. Mix first 6 ingredients, making sure there are no lumps and set aside
3. Beat the egg white and water until frothy and loose. Coat the nuts evenly with the egg wash
4. Sprinkle nuts with the sugar mixture and toss to coat evenly
5. Spread the nuts on a baking tray in one single layer and bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally
6. Remove from oven and separate nuts as they cool
7. When completely cooled, break up clusters and store in an air tight jar