|Garlicky Flatbread: All purpose flour, yeast, sugar, water, salt, butter, and garlic. Not pictured: parsley|
|Flatbreads ready to go into the oven|
A few of my uni friends have already started their careers opting to forgo the 2 months of summer holidays. I start in 5 days and could not be more excited -about doing actual engineering, I mean. Not too thrilled about starting a 9-5 job though.
|Brush on garlic butter as soon as flatbread comes out|
To further stress the fact that we are growing up, Jason, his sister and I have been charged with house sitting for his parents which includes looking after the dogs and cooking our own meals which suits me just fine.
|Simple Hummus: Chickpeas, olive oil, salt, lemon juice, garlic, and cayenne pepper|
On the menu tonight, I decided, was going to be something spectacular. Jason's parents had kindly left steak in the freezer and what better than roasted vegetables and garlic bread as accompaniment?
|Loveliest grilled veggie marinade: balsamic vinegar, olive oil, minced garlic|
Garlicky Flat Bread (makes 10-12)
1/2 cup warm water
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tsp white sugar
1 cup lukewarm water
1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
50g butter, melted or 1/2 cup olive oil
1 Tablespoon chopped parsely
1. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water, add sugar and stir until dissolved. Let sit for 10 minutes until it gets frothy.
2. Mix flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and pour yeast. Slowly add 1 cup of lukewarm water and mix until elastic.
3. Place dough on a floured surface and knead for 15 minutes until smooth and elastic.
4. Roll the dough into a ball and place it into a bowl which is coated with olive oil. Cover and let sit for about 2 hours or until it has doubled in size.
5. Preheat oven to 260°C and make sure your tray is also preheated and sitting at the bottom position of your oven.
6. Divide the dough into 10 - 12 pieces and leave for 10 minutes.
7. Roll out each ball into a circle that is about 12cm in diameter and 0.5cm thick.
8. Bake for 4 minutes until the rounds puff up and turn over and bake for another 2 minutes.
9. While they're baking, combine the garlic, melted butter and chopped parsley.
10. Brush garlic mixture onto flat bread immediately after removing from oven.
1 can chickpeas, drained
1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons olive oil
Juice of one lemon
1. Blend everything together in a food processor.
2. Just jokes. There is no second step.
Yummy Veggie Marinade (great for eggplant)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix everything together.
2. Brush both sides of your veggie slices with this mix before placing on a preheated grill.
3. Go wild.