Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Garlicky Flat Bread, Veggies, and Hummus

Now that I have completed 17 years of education and am starting full time work in a few days, it has suddenly dawned on me that my friends and I are becoming adults -with full blown CAREERS!


Dinner
I'm going to be honest. It's a little weird.


Garlicky Flatbread: All purpose flour, yeast, sugar, water, salt, butter, and garlic. Not pictured: parsley
I always knew that adulthood was inevitable and was even looking forward to being all grown up,  having my own house and HOSTING DINNER PARTIES. This is not one of those "where did my life go" posts because, honestly, I couldn't be happier with my life right now. 



Flatbreads ready to go into the oven

A few of my uni friends have already started their careers opting to forgo the 2 months of summer holidays. I start in 5 days and could not be more excited -about doing actual engineering, I mean. Not too thrilled about starting a 9-5 job though.

Brush on garlic butter as soon as flatbread comes out

To further stress the fact that we are growing up, Jason, his sister and I have been charged with house sitting for his parents which includes looking after the dogs and cooking our own meals which suits me just fine. 



Simple Hummus: Chickpeas, olive oil, salt, lemon juice, garlic, and cayenne pepper

On the menu tonight, I decided, was going to be something spectacular. Jason's parents had kindly left steak in the freezer and what better than roasted vegetables and garlic bread as accompaniment?

Loveliest grilled veggie marinade: balsamic vinegar, olive oil, minced garlic
And with flat bread, must come hummus. These recipes make for a ridiculously easy and delicious meal which is perfect for the upcoming summer. Enjoy =)


Garlicky Flat Bread (makes 10-12)




Ingredients:
1Tablespoon yeast
1/2 cup warm water
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tsp white sugar
1 cup lukewarm water
1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
50g butter, melted or 1/2 cup olive oil
1 Tablespoon chopped parsely


Method:
1. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water, add sugar and stir until dissolved. Let sit for 10 minutes until it gets frothy.
2. Mix flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and pour yeast. Slowly add 1 cup of lukewarm water and mix until elastic.
3. Place dough on a floured surface and knead for 15 minutes until smooth and elastic.
4. Roll the dough into a ball and place it into a bowl which is coated with olive oil. Cover and let sit for about 2 hours or until it has doubled in size.
5. Preheat oven to 260°C and make sure your tray is also preheated and sitting at the bottom position of your oven.
6. Divide the dough into 10 - 12 pieces and leave for 10 minutes.
7. Roll out each ball into a circle that is about 12cm in diameter and 0.5cm thick.
8. Bake for 4 minutes until the rounds puff up and turn over and bake for another 2 minutes.
9. While they're baking, combine the garlic, melted butter and chopped parsley.
10. Brush garlic mixture onto flat bread immediately after removing from oven.


Easy Hummus



Simple Hummus


Ingredients:
1 can chickpeas, drained 
1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons olive oil
Juice of one lemon


Method:
1. Blend everything together in a food processor. 
2. Just jokes. There is no second step.


Yummy Veggie Marinade (great for eggplant)






Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
salt and pepper to taste


Method:
1. Mix everything together.
2. Brush both sides of your veggie slices with this mix before placing on a preheated grill.
3. Go wild.

9 comments:

  1. Perfect veggie meal for me this one :-)! Best wishes for you future career, I am sure that you will enjoy the changes :-)!

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on having a job so soon out of uni - while the regular hours are hard after all those sleep-ins, you're doing better than many others!

    Yay garlic flatbread, I'm such a fiend for garlic - this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, your flatbread looks so tempting! Good luck with your new job - hope it goes well for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great meal. The garlic flat breads and hummus look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garlic flat breads look yummy! I feel awkward. Not a long ago, I felt how you were feeling right now. But time DOES flies... I'm married and have kids and that time I was referring to is more than 10 years ago. But I do remember thinking about it just like you are doing.... so enjoy every moment... I can't go back anymore... =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay for flatbreads and dinner parties and hummus! Three of my favorite things all in one post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delicious spread to snack on and I like how you made the bread garlicky-I love the stuff! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is delicious, It makes my mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete