Monday, December 20, 2010

Randomiser 1.0

My parents got me an iPhone for my 21st birthday so, naturally, I went about downloading all the apps I could find. I now have a 6 categories on my homepage: entertainment, language, games, music, photography and, of course, food and drink. 

One of my favourite apps is from Allrecipes AU which has endless amounts of recipes to try and, what sets it apart from the rest, a RECIPE SPINNER!


Dinner spinner (choose categories or let it decide for you!)
Current forecast = Rain. Just rain. And lots of it. 


Since the rain has ruined our plans for a picnic my boyfriend, Jason, and I decided to finally try this gadget out. 


Hmm.. A vegetarian dish including grain that we can make in less than 60minutes..
To be perfectly honest, we spun the randomiser 5 or 6 times before we settled on something we actually wanted for lunch..


Zucchini Fritters!
I love zucchinis. Jason loves fritters. Our decision was made.


Clockwise from top left: Pepper, Salt, Creamed Corn, Milk, Garlic, Onion (pre fried), Italian Herbs, Eggs, Flour, Cheese and ZUCCHINI!
The recipe, itself, is really simple -just get the ingredients into bite sized pieces, mix and then fry -voila! The reviews for this recipe thought the fritters turned  out a bit plain and definitely needed some sort of dipping sauce as an accompaniment. We had it with sour cream and good ol' Watties tomato sauce.


Jason, the pro fry cook
Recipe (courtesy of the spinner): Serves 6, ready in 25 minutes


Ingredients:
-1 large zucchini, grated or finely chopped
-1 small onion, chopped
-1 clove garlic, chopped
-3 eggs, beaten
-1/2 cup grated Romano cheese (we just used tasty cheese.. I don't think it makes a difference)
-1 Tbs chopped parsley
-1 cup milk
-2 cups plain flour
-salt and pepper to taste
-2 Tbs olive oil for frying
* We added 1/2 cup of creamed corn (trust me, it makes it so much better)


Method:
1. In a large bowl, mix together the zucchini, onion, garlic, eggs, cheese, parsley, milk and flour. Season with salt and pepper.


2. Heat about 1 Tbs of oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Drop tablespoons of the batter into the frypan, and flatten slightly with the back of a spatula. 

3.Turn fritters over when the center appears cooked. Cook on the other side until golden brown. Set aside and keep warm. Add more oil as needed and continue with remaining batter.

I'm not a fan of onion so I diced it really really finely and then fried it before putting it in the batter.

Finely diced onion. Because biting into raw onion is gross. No one wants that.

Mixed ingredients -looks better in real life.

Flip over when the top starts to bubble
Yummy.


Verdict? Not bad -I definitely agree with the reviews that the fritters were a bit bland but good with sauce. Certainly doesn't deserve the title of the best zucchini fritters.. Maybe "good for a quick lunch" fritters..
Jason thought the zucchini pieces could have been larger and I would have liked a little more corn. 


Maybe you'd like to play around with this recipe and give me any suggestions?


I'm going to the boys' flat for an early Christmas dinner tomorrow so tune in for another randomised dish soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment